may we all be heard
words are bells
let them ring!


Thom World Poet Austin, Texas, USA
Global Radical networker and activist for promoting the live Creative Arts,
at every possible opportunity, especially in his home-city, Austin, Texas, USA


Sunday, May 23, 2010

THE PIES OF CHILDHOOD

cheap,generic,with kangaroo and donkey
Part of the abattoir pleasure between caramel gravy
was to spit out the inedible gristley bits
eat the heated meats,and ponder upon English origins
Between flaky crusts,an ocean of unknowns
List of contents Australian fauna/introduced species
Now my tastebuds recall me back again
to Yatala with my sister to eat the past
(but it has changed again!).Expensive
and fresher,with hundreds more flavors
now vegetarian options -more than cottage pies
and pies with peas-a menu of McDonalds proportions
welcome me to History of Pie#101
I eat steak and kidney.I eat the generic
I ponder seafood pies (absent)
and wonder if the history of Australia
is between the lips of each Aussie pie.
Devoured at footy matches,with beer to drown in
as a meal on building sites,and now with me
recycling recycled meats,asking the impossible-
that one's past can stretch into our present moments
and become a repast rather than a mere temporary meal
FOOD FOR THOUGHT on Mya 23,2010

No comments:

Post a Comment