may we all be heard
words are bells
let them ring!


Thom World Poet Austin, Texas, USA
Global Radical networker and activist for promoting the live Creative Arts,
at every possible opportunity, especially in his home-city, Austin, Texas, USA


Saturday, December 25, 2010

VILLAGE LIFE

Grew up under Catholic convent nuns
who taught Irish ways via eisteddfods
speech via rhetoric /declamation
poetry via memorization/recitation
These skills remain over a digital age
where GOOGLE replaces memorization
and elocution seems completely forgotten
I praise the discipline of harder times
when pain was shared to sharpen the learning
We only have what remains-poems and dreams
shared when young,last all our days
Even now,Sister Mary Anthony
demands Merchant of Venice from me
I am Shylock asking for my "pound of flesh"
like mortgage foreclosing rapaciousness
I have lost all skills of calligraphy
Copperplate means sculpture to me
yet were you to ask"where came ye by poetry?"
It was the Irish tongue that` beat it in to me
HAPPY NEW POETRY EAR TO ALL WHO CARE TO LISTEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment